Job Title: Public Housing Director
FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports To: Assistant City Manager
Location/Hours: Albemarle, NC/8a-5p, Mon-Fri
Hiring Rate: $75,935.09 – $96,817.24 annually
Closing Date: September 13, 2021
Provide leadership and management of the planning, organizing, staffing, direction and control functions of the city’s Public Housing Department programs and funding.
- Plans, organizes, manages and directs the operations of Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) federal housing programs, which include the Capital Funds, Housing Choice Voucher and Public Housing programs for the elderly, disabled, and low-income families and individuals.
- Develops internal management reporting and tracks program performance.
- Develops and implements policies, practices, and procedures.
- Determines appropriate course(s) of action related to adopted policies and procedures
- Develops and recommends annual budget to the Assistant City Manager; works with the Finance Department in the fiscal accounting of all funds and checks issued for housing payments; reviews a variety of performance metrics to include SEMAP, PHAS, and REAC financial submissions; and writes and administers grants.
- Supervises and directs the service delivery of housing assistance and inspections; supervises a staff engaged in determining eligibility initially and for annual re-certifications of tenants and landlords; supervises initial and special inspections and annual re-inspections; supervises rental payment process; supervises staff responsible for health and safety of tenant and visitors to Housing properties; and supervises resolution of interpersonal disputes and grievances between tenants and landlords.
- Handles complaints from tenants and landlords or the general public, especially for difficult issues; meets with the tenants and/or landlords and negotiates settlement of disagreements or grievances.
- Provides oversight of the management, maintenance and inspection of all housing developments to ensure a high degree of livability.
- Provides oversight of tenant application and approval process, the execution of leases, the collection of rents, and the enforcement of leases as required ACOP and Administrative Plan.
- Works with staff and participants to achieve self-sufficiency through programs and a wide range of economic, health and social services.
- Oversees information technology application for the Department; ensures efficient and effective use of information technology.
- Conducts quality control audits and inspections on new contracts to ensure compliance with HUD guidelines.
- Represents the department and maintains liaison with regulatory agencies, local officials and community-based organizations.
- Actively promotes the program through public speaking to community groups.
- Attends meetings, workshops, seminars, and training sessions as necessary, and stays up-to-date on current program requirements and literature pertinent to the efficient and effective functioning of the programs.
- Performs supervisory functions including recruitment, selection, training, mentoring, motivating, and performance coaching and evaluation.
- Serves on the City of Albemarle Leadership Team.
- Possession of a valid North Carolina Driver’s License.
- Five (5) years prior supervisory experience in housing management, community development, public administration or a closely related field.
- Graduation from a four-year college with a degree in public or business administration and considerable progressively responsible experience in housing assistance program administration; or a degree in Human Services field and considerable progressively responsible experience in housing assistance or human service programs involving federal program budgeting; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Working knowledge of HUD regulations regarding public housing and the Housing Choice Voucher Program.
- Knowledge of local and federal Fair Housing Laws.
- Effective oral and written communication, interpersonal and conflict-resolution skills.
- Strong personnel management, organizational, problem-solving, decision-making, multi-tasking and time management skills.
- Must be willing and able to attend late night meetings.
ABOUT THE CITY OF ALBEMARLE
The City of Albemarle is home to approximately 16,000 residents and provides a full range of municipal services to a growing community. Albemarle has a very strong and stable history in the Council-Manager form of government. The successful candidate must have effective interpersonal skills and desire to serve our community with humility and respect, honesty, integrity, and teamwork. EEO
How to Apply