This position is responsible for directing the day-to-day operations and performance of Newberry Housing properties (315 Public Housing and 12 HOME units), performing all phases of real estate management, and overseeing the financial aspects of Newberry Housing properties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The following is a listing of the key duties and responsibilities of this position and the skills, experience, and knowledge required for the employee in this position. The list of duties is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills, and abilities, but a representative listing of the key duties of the position. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate. Newberry Housing reserves the right to assign work in other areas to equalize or balance the workload, cover absences, or for other business needs of Newberry Housing.
- Manages property management employees, including maintenance technicians and an Assistant Community Manager.
- Interviews clients to verify eligibility data and occupancy information. Calculates rent in accordance with HUD and Newberry Housing policies. Reviews information and calculations with clients and assures effective communication of lease terms.
- Maintains responsibility for the operations and management of Newberry Housing properties. Properties are expected to meet or exceed all applicable HUD systems by which Newberry Housing is scored, funded or otherwise rated. This includes both physical and administrative ratings.
- Plans, organizes, and coordinates activities of housing developments, including determining eligibility, maintaining waiting lists, overseeing rent calculations and collections, procurement of goods and services, including security program and lease enforcement.
- Ensures compliance with federal regulations governing neighborhood and housing redevelopment, locally established policies, procedures, guidelines, and related activities which are funded wholly or in part by federal funds and completes reporting to these agencies; ensures peak performance of the properties.
- Develops and manages property budgets, monitors expenses, and determines needed capital improvements. Initiates and reviews purchase orders; reviews and approves invoices for payment and resolves discrepancies in billing.
- Initiates major project repairs and property improvements, provides oversight of contractors, and ensures satisfactory completion of work.
- Works with the Executive Director to prepare the proposed annual budget for Newberry Housing properties; keeps accurate, current records of income and expenditures from property operations and ensures successful fiscal performance.
- Attends resident meetings and other meetings, as necessary.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Minimum Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, public administration, or related field and a minimum of three (3) years of experience in the management of a housing development, including a minimum of two (2) years in a supervisory capacity.
- Knowledge of general office practices and procedures, business English and basic arithmetic.
- Some knowledge of standard bookkeeping principles, practices, and techniques
- Knowledge of HUD and Commission policies, procedures and practices pertaining to the Public Housing programs.
- Skill in operating general office machines and computers.
- Ability to communicate and relate to persons of diverse backgrounds and abilities and establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees and residents.
- Ability to perform repetitive and tedious job assignments accurately.
- Ability to write reports, complete forms, compose letters and effectively communicate both verbally and in writing.
- Must pass a background check.
Please submit your resume to: