Fahrenheit Advisors has been retained in the search for the Executive Director of the Lynchburg Redevelopment & Housing Authority.
Apply online at: https://jobs.crelate.com/portal/fahrenheitgroup/job/exuafr1ftd9ptmwuhz3ofo9qoh
The Lynchburg Redevelopment and Housing Authority is a political subdivision of the Commonwealth of Virginia and was activated by the City Council of the City of Lynchburg in April of 1956. The Authority is governed by a seven-member Board of Commissioners, each of whom is appointed by the City Council for a four-year term. At the present time, two members of City Council also serve as Commissioners of the Authority. A Chairman and Vice Chairman are elected each year from among the Commissioners. An Executive Director is appointed by the Commissioners and serves as the Secretary of the organization. The Executive Director is the Chief Executive Officer of the Authority who oversees the staff and carries out policies established by the Commissioners. Other administrative and program personnel are employed and carry out duties in accordance with established policies. The primary mission of the LRHA is to own and operate low-rent public housing for lower-income families. The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) provides funds for the development of public housing and promulgates certain regulations governing the overall operation of the housing programs. HUD provides an annual operating subsidy and capital improvement grant to the Authority to assure continued operation and maintenance of public housing. The Agency owns 328 public housing units within 4 complexes and administrates approximately 979 Section 8 Housing Choice Vouchers. As a leader in the City’s affordable housing community, LRHA is focused upon ending homelessness and increasing the availability of quality low income housing through development and redevelopment.
Under the general direction of the Board of Commissioners of the LRHA, the Executive Director serves as Chief Operating Officer with full executive responsibility for, but not limited to, strategic planning, program planning and development, housing management, maintenance and redevelopment, tenant and community service, fiscal and financial accounting management and community/public relations. Serves as advisor to the Board of Commissioners on policy formulation and as Secretary of the Board. A successful Executive Director will be one who is a leader and collaborator and is able to develop and maintain a strong relationship between the LRHA Board and City of Lynchburg as well as excellent relationships between and City of Lynchburg as well as other community affordable housing stakeholders. The Executive Director is seen as the City’s leading resource with regard to public and affordable housing with a working knowledge of HUD regulations and other housing and redevelopment laws and processes, best practices and innovative solutions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The duties below are intended to describe the general nature and scope of work being performed by this position. This is not a complete listing of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required. Other duties may be assigned.
- Provides strong leadership and represents the Authority nationally, regionally and locally by engaging and networking with elected officials, government agencies, business leaders, and public housing interest groups.
- Establishes and maintains and builds relationships with other agencies and housing authorities including county and city officials, other governmental agencies and private voluntary groups for the purpose of coordinating and utilizing their services for the betterment of the programs of the Authority including but not limited to Section 8 Housing Choice Vouchers, Public Housing, Rental Rehabilitation and coordinating solutions to homelessness.
- Maintains relevant professional education and remains informed regarding Federal, state and local law and policies, procedures, requirements, best practices and philosophies of public housing and community development programs, and shapes broad and effective local plans and policies for such activities.
- Assesses and evaluates the housing needs of the community and advises the Board of Commissioners and appropriate governmental agencies of findings and recommendations.
- Provides leadership to the Lynchburg Regional Housing Collaborative.
- Hires and develop a strong management staff and establishes a culture of accountability.
- Establishes and implement an objective performance management system for all employees.
- Assesses the effectiveness of performance and success of management in meeting assigned goals of the Authority. Ensures that existing units are soundly managed and maintained in a cost-effective, safe manner.
- Plans and develops additional housing units and resources for potential income-eligible residents and monitors their timely and cost-effective completion.
- Develops and adapts as necessary LRHA organizational structure to meet the needs of the Authority.
- Directs the fiscal, accounting, budgeting control and purchasing programs for the Authority. Initiates programs and policies that will ensure the maintenance of a sound fiscal position.
- Safeguards and acts as custodian of Federal, local and private funds.
- Ensures the financial integrity and viability of the Authority through sound business practices, comprehensive internal accounting controls and an accurate and timely financial reporting system.
- Plans and develops programs for Section 8 Housing Choice Vouchers (HCV) and develops relationships with landlords to meet the needs of the Section 8 program.
- Participates with Board in the strategic planning process; provides leadership and advice regarding long-term direction and objectives for the authority.
- Serves as Secretary of the Board of Commissioners. As such is responsible for maintaining the records of the Authority, acts as secretary of the meetings and records all votes, maintains a record of all proceedings, acts as custodian of the seal of the Authority and have the power to affix such seal when necessary and to execute contracts and legal instruments as directed by resolution of the Board, maintains custody of all funds, maintain books of account and provide the Board with financial reports; perform any other duties incident to the office of Secretary, including submission of annual reports.
- Ensures strict compliance of agency programs with federal and state guidelines and regulations.
- Oversees the development and implementation of goals, work plans, performance measures, and continuous improvement of service delivery to assist in attaining LRHA initiatives and goals, core strategies, and mission through a spirit of service, teamwork and respect. Works respectfully and courteously with other employees.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Comprehensive and thorough working knowledge of HUD urban development, housing management and rehabilitation programs, and HUD and other applicable regulations.
- Strong leadership and communication skills.
- Clear understanding of the social, economic and health needs of families of low income.
- Knowledge of those various phases of municipal government that are closely related to housing and community development programs.
- Successful experience in the management of complex organizations.
- Knowledge of, and engagement in the operating practices and policies of community organizations and the ability provide leadership, and to enlist their active support and cooperation.
- Ability to balance demonstrate fiscal restraint and integrity.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in analyzing situations and in reaching decisions quickly.
- Ability to work well with, stimulate and provide leadership to groups and individuals
- Strong verbal and written communication, as well as strong interpersonal skills.
- Operate a vehicle legally and possess an acceptable driving record.
Acceptable Experience and Training
- Bachelor’s or greater degree in Public or Business Administration, Finance, Planning, Architecture, Law, Engineering or related field from an accredited college or university
- Progressively responsible executive or management experience in the field of affordable housing, community development, law or related field.
- Knowledgeable of construction and redevelopment processes and strategies
- Working knowledge of funding sources and opportunities (state, federal, local) for Authority programs and initiatives.
- Salary & Benefits: Negotiable including a comprehensive benefits package which may include
- but is not limited to:
- Competitive salary
- Comprehensive benefits program to include medical, retirement, life, disability, dental and vision.
- 4 weeks paid vacation.
- Voluntary deferred compensations plan.
Qualified candidates, please submit your resume below for confidential consideration.