JOB TITLE: HOUSING CHOICE VOUCHER OCCUPANCY SPECIALIST
(Salary range: $32,500 -39,000)
REPORTS TO: QUALITY CONTROL/HCV COORDINATOR
DEPT. /DIVISION: RESIDENT SERVICES/HOUSING CHOICE VOUCHER
FLSA STATUS: EXEMPT
Under the direction of the Quality Control/HCV Coordinator, this position is responsible for determining the initial and on-going eligibility for participation in the Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) Program in accordance with the federal, state, local, and the Housing Authority of Fulton County (HAFC) requirements.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Negotiates and prepares Housing Assistance Payments contracts in accordance with the fair market rents, payment standards, rent reasonableness certification, utility allowances, and annual adjustment factors as prescribed by HUD.
- Schedules and conducts eligibility and recertification interviews with applicants and/or program participants, processes and obtains third party verification for family income, assets, and allowances, and calculates total tenant payment. Eligibility and recertification interviews will ensure that following:
- Rent for unit is reasonable for each unit leased
- Proper payment standards are utilized
- Determine the appropriate voucher size for the family
- Accurate verification of family income
- Timely annual/interim reexaminations of family income and family composition
- Correct calculation of the tenant share of the rent and the housing assistance payment
- Correct and current schedule of allowances for tenant utility costs are utilized
- Prepares required forms and correspondence as they relate to housing functions. Complete data entry on all assigned cases, and file maintenance in accordance with HUD regulations and HAFC policy.
- Establishes and maintains rapport with landlords and tenants, and mediate problems and complaints. Conduct and/or assist with tenant and /or property owner meetings or informational sessions. Request unit inspections.
- Determines applicant or program participant’s compliance with program requirement and may terminates contracts and assistance, or recommend other remedies of corrective action such as reduction of subsidy, or collection of retro-active amount owed.
- Maintains daily, weekly, and monthly statistics to illustrate status of assigned caseload or program activity.
- Creates and maintains files in accordance with HAFC procedures for applicants, program participants, and owners. Files new paperwork regularly.
- Handles routine inquiries from clients and the general public.
- Makes referrals to the Family Self Sufficiency Program.
- Performs other related works as assigned.
- A bachelor’s degree in a related field from a four year accredited institution plus two (2) years of related work experience is required or an equivalent combination of education and related work experience (HUD housing experience preferred).
- Knowledge of the general operation and procedures of a Public Housing Agency (PHA) and knowledge of the laws, rules, regulations, policies, and procedures relative to the management of HCV Programs.
- Ability to deal tactfully and effectively with the general public and civic and community organizations or individuals from a variety of social and economical background.
- Knowledge of HUD and federal regulations as it relates to the Housing Choice Voucher/Section 8 Program, to include HUD forms, policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of eligibility requirements for Section 8 program to include HCV/Section 8 admissions and continued occupancy policies and procedures.
- Skill in reading at a level to comprehend complex text such as Code of Federal Regulations and HUD rules and regulations regarding Housing Choice Voucher/Section 8 Program as needed to understand information to ensure compliance of HUD requirements.
- Ability to interpret the federal rules, regulations and policies of HCV / Section 8 program as needed to ensure compliance with HUD policies and procedures.
- Ability to interact with others (coworkers, supervisors, HAFC officials and the general public) to include courtesy, tact and diplomacy as needed to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Ability to work independently with little supervision to include motivating self, managing time, and prioritizing as needed to determine which tasks require intervention by others and those that can be handled independently as needed to ensure work duties are completed in an accurate and timely manner. Strong attention to details, able to work in a fast-paced, time-sensitive environment.
LICENSURE OR CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
Ability to obtain professional certification (HCV Specialist) within first four (4) months of employment if not certified at hire. Additional training may be required as necessary to complete job functions and all training schedules will be at the direction of the HAFC. The HAFC will encumber the expense for the required (HCV Specialist) certification for the initial training (class and test). If the Occupancy Specialist is unable to receive the required certification within the designated time period, employment will be subsequently terminated.
The following are examples only and are not intended to be all inclusive.
Computer, fax, copier, telephone, and other standard business office equipment.
- Possession of valid State of Georgia driver’s license.
- Ability to be covered under the Housing Authority’s fidelity bond.
- Ability to be insured by Agency’s vehicle insurance carrier.
This position description in no manner states or implies that these are the only duties and responsibilities to be performed by the position incumbent. My signature below signifies that I have reviewed and understand the contents of my position description.
Please apply to firstname.lastname@example.org. Position is open until filled.